Sunday, May 19, 2013

My Big Fat Punjabi Wedding?

 

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SaEl4cKaAo

Took me a while, but so worth the search. Check out the song from the film Special 26 called “Gore Mukhde Pe”, or as I might call, “Welcome to my big fat Punjabi wedding”.

The first few quick shots establish the setting as a wedding.

image   image

It’s a bit of a déjà-vu. Remember Monsoon Wedding? I don’t know what flowers those are in the picture above, but they evoke the ubiquitous tangerine marigolds of that film.

image And let the party begin! (0:05)

Dancing, clapping, singing, happy faces all around, and the catchy beat – you are in for an audio-visual treat. Had the song been on its own, I am not sure I would have enjoyed it quite so much. Like “Gangnam Style”, the magic of the song takes hold when accompanied by its visual counterpart. 

That visual part is the boisterous, full-throttle, everyone-in-the-house festive dance. Take a peek:

imageimageimageimage

It is hard to capture the catchiness and hilariousness of the dance moves with words or still images. But here is an expression that says it all.

image

The decision’s made. I were to ever be an extra for a film, Bollywood wedding party scenes it is!

Another reason why I enjoyed this video/song is that I didn’t feel uncomfortable or disgusted by excessive sexuality or the objectification of women. Which is precisely why it took me a while to find a music video to my liking. Before landing on this one, I saw one too many videos with the same old plot line: the sexy, scantily-clad babe seducing the sunglass and suit-equipped rich man. In contrast, this video has romantic elements that are cheesy, laughable, but lovable.

imageimage

The song itself is incredibly fun as well. The female and male leads take turns singing. The fact that the song is in an unfamiliar language didn’t detract from my enjoyment of it at all.

If you would like a light-hearted break in your day, go, go watch this video! Thumbs up


More still images of the video:

image

imageimageimageimage

2 comments:

  1. Can't imagine uve already finished ur 4th blog, incredible!
    Come on, u do like Indian music? well it's a very good video I bet, it's just u r the FIRST Korean girl I met that like Indian music, I thought u should like Girls generation or whatever, u know~

    "Another reason why I enjoyed this video/song is that I didn’t feel uncomfortable or disgusted by excessive sexuality or the objectification of women" LOL that's true, nearly every pop MV today has sexy girls! I call it "standard raven protocol" lol~

    Continue to the talk we had~ Vancouver is indeed a great place, in Edmonton we have a season of snow, in Vancouver, the biggest issue we will have there is how to spend a wonderful October weekend outside~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to listen to a variety of music...And I do like k-pop, but that includes many different genres. Indian music is fun from what I've heard so far, but I don't think I'd go out of my way to download it... I love their dancing though :)

    Haha I'd take rain over snow any day! Vancouver is beautiful..

    ReplyDelete