Sunday, May 12, 2013

Reactions to Monsoon Wedding



I watched Monsoon Wedding a week after my finals. The only quasi-Indian film I had seen before was Slumdog Millionaire, so I had no idea what to expect.

The most striking aspect of the film was the mixing of western and Indian cultures: suits and sunglasses amidst saris and dhotis; rickshaws and cars alike occupying the roads; Coca-Cola and Visa logos in market places that sell traditional clothing. The use of English, I suppose, is a legacy of British colonialism. It nonetheless surprised me to observe its prevalence in conversation, at least in the middle to upper classes. In retrospect, it reminds me of Singapore, whose population speaks Mandarin as well as “Singaporean” English. Finally, it was a bit disorienting that Aditi would be embroiled in an affair, and yet agrees to an arranged marriage.  

It delighted me to observe the wedding from its preparation stage to the rain-filled day, with all the other celebratory events in between. I am only acquainted with Chinese, Korean, and western-style weddings, so it was interesting to see how it is done traditionally in another culture. Throughout the movie, I felt like an invitee to the wedding, dancing and singing along with the family. I had as much fun as those on the screen. The sheer number of relatives in the bride-to-be’s house was, I have to admit, mind-boggling. In the end, I was still not quite sure how one family member was related to another. However, my disorientation added to the fun and unfamiliarity of experiencing another culture.  

While the film was feel-good and light-hearted overall, I appreciated that it also treated more serious topics such as sexual abuse, which gave it more depth. Although the movie takes place in India, which is unfamiliar to me, I could relate to the characters and the story because the themes explored are universal: love, family, parental expectations… The film had an authentic feel to it, and I hope that it is indeed a realistic portrayal of modern India because now I feel more informed about Indian culture and life. All in all, what a delightful cinematic experience! 

Picture Source: https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEi7e1rXr3ecTGNUfW5ZBx7cWQJw4165o_SXIpxfPsJfAPXTjTp5tYzTe7orjAjfwzZou176O-aoL9cHr6voa2PoviyS2P9Khyphenhypheng4tZ1q32uUnoU95ZY6LkBvwZpScJDnpArVbEgCbFBcXWhN/s1600/Marigold+Flowers+Wallpapers+03.jpg

4 comments:

  1. Another good blog. I liked your comment that the viewer is an invitee to the wedding. Well put.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow nice flower! So attentive~ What's the name of the flower btw?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're marigolds. Their prevalence really struck me in the film (and the image of the wedding planner eating them!) so I included the above picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marigolds are used all over India for weddings...

    ReplyDelete